I thought I would try my hand at canning. Steve and I decided that we would LOVE to have our homemade salsa throughout winter so why not can that? All day today I made 6 full batches of salsa using our new NINJA Professional. It truly does chop up the vegetables faster than the blender and left the salsa a little more chunky than usual.
Last week I learned on the internet that if you are going to can salsa, you have to pressure can it due to harmful bacteria. I purchased a pressure canner on Wednesday and it arrived Friday along with a free case of jars. How exciting! Becoming domesticated!
I was able to fit 12 pints into the pressure canner and off it went, gaining pressure. About 30 minutes later it reached the pressure required. And 20 minutes later they were done. The cool off period was much longer. The jars are now out on the counter cooling down. The only problem now is that it doesn't smell very good..at..all.
I will be so disappointed if I just wasted 5 batches of homemade salsa made out of our garden tomatoes. And then I just bought that canner for nothing!


1 comment:
Hope it turns out good for u guys! I'll have to try some. :)
Post a Comment