Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grandpa Shelton


So Steve's grandpa has been in and out of the hospital for over 3 months since having a CABG. The last time I saw him we were at his house having dinner. His incision looked good and his chest tube sites looked good. He was doing great. Well that was over a month and a half ago. He has been in the hospital for a good six weeks now. Steve and I were told that he wasn't doing very well and that the doctors told the family they need to make a decision on how much medical intervention they want to do. I was asked to come to the meeting due to being a nurse and seeing this first hand.

I needed to see Grandpa Shelton first before I gave any advice. Remember I hadn't seen him for over 6 weeks. When Steve and I showed up at the doorway to his hospital room, I was in complete shock at how he looked. His body frame had deteriorated tremendously and he had no color to him. He was arousable but would not stay awake for more than a couple minutes at a time. He did not even look like the same person.

Steve and I were able to arouse him and he acknowledged that we were there. He even raised his eyebrows when he saw me. When we left I told him that we would be back and that we love him. He opened his arms to give me a hug. It really meant a lot to me.

You always hope that the family you marry into will accept you for who you are. Steve warned me that Grandpa Shelton didn't approve of tank tops and that maybe I shouldn't wear them to the campouts but thats what I wear during the summer. Grandpa Shelton never said one word to me and always greeted me with open arms. Over the years we have become a family. And now that family is coming to me to ask what my thoughts are on how to help Grandpa Shelton.

It was an emotional family meeting with people not always agreeing. It's not about us anymore, it's about what Grandpa Shelton would want done. I tried to explain what I see in the hospital and what I would do if I were to make the choice. He's out of options and the doctors have tried to find the source of infection to no avail. I hope that my words will help them in their decision. We love you Grandpa Shelton!!!

1 comment:

Britters and Parx said...

Sooo sad. =( I think we get numb when so many people around us at work are sick...but it's different when it hits home with family. I need to keep my mouth shut- just last week I was talking about how I had only been pulled over once in my life...what happens? I get pulled over that night! That day I was at work also talking about how I had never lost a family member to death...what happens? My sweet grandpa was diagnosed with throat cancer. =( Hang in there!