Saturday, April 13, 2013

Disneyland

Steve and I are such lovers of Disneyland that we took our 3 month old little girl there with us. This trip has been planned since the last time we went in July 2012. We knew our baby would be going with us no matter what and we totally thought it would be easy. We had a few people tell us we were crazy to take a 3 month old to Disneyland but who can leave this cutie behind??? 
I packed for 2 weeks prior to leaving on this vacation, stressing that I would forget something important for Emma. We bought a portable swing to take with us since she is a swing baby and sleeps in it all night. Well, the swing didn't quite fit the suitcase but when I dismantled it I was able to get it in the suitcase. I was able to pack everything that we needed for the trip...just had to do a little nagging to get Steve to finish packing the day before we left. My brother Brett took us to the airport on Monday. We decided to be there by 9 am even though our flight was at 11 am because we didn't know how it would be going through security with a baby. I think we used 5 or 6 bins plus putting 2 back packs, 1 small suitcase, car seat and the stroller through the screening machine. Whew! That was a whole lot of work to do that in a timely manner. The worst part is when I went to pick Emma up out of her car seat she had blow out and poop up her back. I tried to put her blanket around her and the TSA agent told me that her blanket had to go through the screening machine. I was so annoyed. He so kindly let me put her burp cloth around her back so I didn't get poop all over me. :( Once I had her cleaned up and changed in to her spare outfit, we found some breakfast then off to our gate. We had to ask the gate agent to sit us together so we had each other to help with Emma. The best part of that was the seats they placed us in were Economy Plus seats....so much room! As soon as we boarded the plane, I nursed Emma and she was great through the flight. The descent into Long Beach Airport was quite bumpy and Emma went up in the air (with my arms still around her). I tightened my grip on her. We caught a taxi to the Grand California Hotel to meet up with my parents. 
Once I fed Emma again, we were off to California Adventures for lunch and playtime! Our first ride was Monsters, Inc. The cast member at the entrance told us we could take her on the ride in her car seat instead of getting her out. I have never seen anyone do that before but it worked. 




Emma didn't like Monsters, Inc at all. In the pic above, her head was right by the speaker and the voices were so loud. She cried through most of it. It sure didn't help that she really hadn't slept at all since 8 am. By the time we came back to the hotel in the evening, Emma was so exhausted. She couldn't sleep all day with all the sounds and sights. 
We happened upon Minnie and her Fly Girls performance. After the performance we quickly got in line to get a picture with Minnie...I think we were 3rd in line. I love the pic of us with Minnie. Emma even smiled!

Before meeting up with my dad, we rode California Screamin' while my mom watched Emma. I love that roller coaster but I love it more when I wear my motion sickness patch. Not even halfway through the ride I felt awful. Thank goodness I didn't feel sick too long.
By the time the pic below was taken around 6:30 pm ( 7:30 pm SLC time) she maybe had slept a total of 2 hours all day. She didn't want anyone talking to her at all. My mom, my dad and even her Daddy tried to come talk to her and each time she started to cry on them. We could all talk to each other across the room but definitely no talking to Emma.
For dinner we went to Downtown Disney to eat at Uva Bar & Grill. The atmosphere is so nice there, fun exciting and outside. It was a bit cool that night with the wind but the heaters and jackets helped. It took a while to get Emma to sleep but we were able to do it by the time our food came out. After dinner, we went back to the hotel and crashed around 9 pm.

On Tuesday we hit up Disneyland in the morning. Emma crashed for the first part of the morning but was in and out of sleep all day. She never got a real good nap. Steve was great at getting her to calm down by lifting the stroller up by the handle and bouncing her...I definitely can't do it...too heavy. She would quiet right down immediately. 

Our first ride was Matterhorn. My parents rode first and we got a switch pass from the ride operator. Steve and I pretty much walked right on when the got back. I love the Matterhorn. My other favorite coaster is Thunder Mountain Railroad but that was under construction. 

Next stop was It's a Small World. I actually like this ride. There is so much to look at in the ride and it changes with certain seasons. We got Emma in the front carrier which she didn't care for. Her cute little hat to cover that white baby skin. 



Steve rocked Emma to sleep in his arms so we finally asked a cast member if she had to be in a carrier to ride the rides and they said no. Not sure if that is true for all rides but all the rides we rode they didn't require us to have her in a carrier. Steve had so many girls and women asking how old Emma was and saying how cute she was. I think Steve is going to start taking Emma out as a chick magnet! I had a lady in a bathroom ask me if she was a month old, when I told her she was 3 months old, she then asked if she was preemie. In another bathroom, a girl kept commenting on how cute she was the whole time I changed her. Sort of awkward having her stare the whole time but seriously everyone did especially if she was out of her car seat.  
We had a yummy dinner at Wine Country Trattoria in Disney California. And then indulged on Ghirardelli icecream. Oh so delicious.
On Wednesday, we started out early in the morning at Disney California. The guests of the Disneyland Resorts get to go into Disney California an hour before the park opens to the public. Our goal was to ride Racers in Cars Land. We accomplished that with the switch pass. Super fun ride and reminds me of Moab and Canyonlands. It's amazing how real it looks. 
We saw this cute little family of ducks in Disney California and I just had to get pictures. Mama duck and her 10 little ducklings. Mama duck was trying to lead her babies back to the water....it was quite a walk for them. The babies kept trying to sit down. 
Emma kicking back in her carrier. Steve hung out with Emma while my parents and I rode Toy Mania. When we were almost to the front the line comes back out where you can see people out of the line. Steve found us and little Emma had a new outfit on. She decided to poop out her Minnie Mouse outfit. So this is the only pic I got with her in it at Disneyland.
We went on Ariel's Under Sea Adventure. Emma watched everything and only cried once in the beginning and then once at Ursula. I think she liked all the lights and fun songs. And I like to think she will love it because I love the Little Mermaid. 
 This was back at the swimming pool. Emma was so tired so I had her swaddled and asleep down at the pool. She would crack her eyes open when the ladies next to us would start laughing loudly.

 Emma finally woke up at the pool. I was able to show off her adorable swimsuit. Unfortunately this little girls thighs aren't chunky enough to fit the swim diaper I bought her. Steve took her in the pool to dip her feet. She didn't protest too much and seemed to do fine. We can't wait to take her swimming in our pool at home. 



 Our matching polka dot swimsuits!
 
 We went back to Disneyland that evening to ride Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean. Emma did great on the Jungle Cruise and woke up on the first drop in Pirates of the Caribbean. 

We headed to the Uva Bar again for dinner and had Haagen Dazs icecream for dessert again. I got Deep Chocolate Peanut Butter. Oh my it was delicious! So much peanut butter in it. 
 On Thursday morning we headed to Disneyland to ride some Fantasyland rides that Emma could go on. We waited for Peter Pan first and of course the ride broke down. We continued to wait and after 15 minutes we were on our way to Never Neverland. Emma liked all the lights in the ride. 


 And who doesn't love a bumpy ride with Mr Toads Wild Ride. 

We only had time to ride those two rides on Thursday. We had to rush back to the hotel and pack and get to the airport to come home. We did a little better going through security this time. I was able to pass Emma to my mom while Steve and I got our shoes and back packs on. Too bad my mom and dad didn't fly with us out there...it was a lot of help!
We were so worried that my parents wouldn't like sharing a room with Emma especially since she still gets up in the night to eat. And she is not happy to get her diaper changed in the middle of the night. But we were wrong. They loved it and didn't mind it at all. My mom loved listening to the ocean on Emma's Sleep Sheep. And they both loved waking up and having conversations with Emma. It was a lot more work with a baby but we had a great time. I think we actually bought less since we didn't go into too many stores with her. I can't wait to take her back. And I really can't wait for her to be tall enough to ride all the rides!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

What fun magical 1st trip to Disneyland. It sounds like you guys really know how to do it, relaxing and all ( I am sure that comes with the frequent trips and less kids). I have a goal of swimming just one year when we are down there visiting Mickey. I loved your girls' swimsuit, so cute. That is awesome they didn't make you put her in the carrier every time, sort of odd how rules change from people to people, grrr, guessed it help Krew loves that thing. Screamin California is the best roller coaster, I agree! What a little champ Miss Emma is. You got some really cute family pics, love the one with Minnie. Maybe next we will see you there.... December...!

Britters and Parx said...

such a fun trip!!! Even though it is A LOT of effort taking a baby, it is sooo worth it and so fun. You just wait...it just gets better! I have taken Parx there twice and the last time he appreciated it even more! I was just thinking today that I am due for another trip there myself. =) I could maybe go for an annual pass. =)Hows working again?? who watches her while you work? Love ya Jess!